Though the NJ4 does indeed resonate with the vintage 60s-style tone described, the roots of its initial design and ever extrapolating refinement lies in our prospects of providing the player with a traditional vintage-style versatility that is tailored to taste; the choice in magnet type and wind geometry making every difference when it comes to the birthplace of an artist’s desired tone.
The NJ4 will leave you breathless with the splintering snap and grind of its hardwired midrange that can only be tamed by the norepinephrine of its euphoric high end. This is a vintage style single coil pickup made with 60s era correct Heavy Formvar wire, a choice of alnico III or V magnets, and wound with a programmable CNC winder that simulates a vintage hand wound pattern. The combination of the HF wire in correspondence with the simulated hand wind produces the pickup’s lowered resonant peak, which is the source of the hypnotizing ambrosia that is the NJ4’s divine high end. Between its high and low end frequencies, this pickup produces a full-bodied sound that replicates the drive synonymous with 60s vintage tone.
- Single coil 4 string jazz-type bass pickup
- Standard Alnico V magnets
- Drop-in J replacement pickup.
- Available in black plastic covers.
- Laser cut bobbins wound with Era Correct Heavy Formvar wire, or plain enamel for 70s wind.
- Wax-potted to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone
- Tonal Balance = 5
- Mids = 5
- Dynamics = 7
- Character/Color = 7
Item shown: Nordstrand 4 String Vintage Single Coil J Pickup Set
Model #: NJ4SET